Local influencer marketing is all the rage for a reason—it’s an incredibly effective marketing strategy to boost your sales, increase brand awareness, and build the credibility and trust you need to expand.
With 4.48 billion people using social media worldwide, it’s no surprise that local influencer marketing is one of the most effective marketing strategies to expand your small business quickly. But before you get too excited, there are certain rules you have to abide by if you want to succeed in the influencer marketing world.
With this in mind, keep reading as we cover everything you need to know about this powerful marketing strategy—from how to choose the right influencers to the biggest mistakes to avoid and everything in between!
What is Local Influencer Marketing
Local influencer marketing is a popular and powerful marketing strategy that drives relevant traffic to your website by collaborating with influential individuals in your niche. Those influencers, who have already built a big following base, can boost both brand awareness and conversions by recommending your products or services to their loyal fans.
When properly employed, local influencer marketing can be more powerful than traditional marketing strategies because the audience is already there following their favorite influencer.
All you have to do is to ask your influencer to show them your offerings, sit back and relax, and watch a flood of potential customers running to your website!
See also: The origins of influencer marketing
4 Reasons You Should Employ Local Influencer Marketing for Your eCommerce Business
We could create a long article only talking about the benefits of including local influencer marketing in your strategy. But let’s not waste your time and only go through the 4 main and most important ones:
- Increases brand awareness: Influencers invest tons of time, energy, and money to become influential in their niche and gain people’s unshakeable trust, making them the ideal individuals to tell your brand story, review your brand, and promote your products or services to their loyal followers.
- Increases sales: Since humans are naturally emotional beings, seeing their favorite and trusted influencer recommending your products or services can instantly make your sales skyrocket. It’s also a more natural way to boost sales instead of making your audience count down the seconds till the ‘spammy' ad you created disappears!
- Focuses on your target audience: It doesn’t matter if hundreds of thousands of people visit your website every month; you can’t turn those visitors into paying customers if they are not even interested in what you have to offer. Fortunately, influencers are experts in driving targeted traffic, so let them do their intended job and watch your website traffic increase!
- Builds credibility and trust: When someone influential in their niche recommends a product or service, chances are their fans will trust their recommendation. So employing local influencer marketing as a part of your marketing strategy simply means you’re purchasing the credibility of influencers to get people to trust your brand, which is definitely a win-win situation!
4 Tips to Find the Right Local Influencer for Your eCommerce Business
Now that you know how effective this strategy is in increasing sales, it’s time to actually find a local influencer who can promote your products or services. So here are the top 4 tips for finding the right local influencer:
- Search your social media pages: As people who already have an interest in your offerings will be more willing to collaborate, it makes sense to look for potential candidates on your own social media pages.
It will also feel more natural to your audience when you announce the collaboration. Check if certain followers regularly comment on your posts and engage on your page; those will be more passionate about collaboration.
- Look for hashtags related to your niche: You don’t have to have a big following to find the right local influencer for your business; there are tons of influencers in your niche who are interested in promoting similar products or services to yours. All you have to do is to find them, reach out, and let them take care of the rest!
- Make sure your potential influencer is legit: Not all influencers with a big following are necessarily legit; technology makes it ridiculously easy to buy followers, and you won’t even know when they’re fake.
However, one way to tell if an influencer is legit is by looking at where they are located; a legit influencer is usually located where the majority of their followers are. Most of their followers should also have a profile picture and a ‘normal’ nickname that doesn’t consist only of random letters and numbers.
- Look at their content quality and style: Before you can collaborate with an influencer, make sure to double-check their content first to see if it aligns with your brand. You also want to make sure they don’t post poor-quality content on their page and are constantly delivering unique, high-quality content.
4 Biggest Mistakes to Avoid
Before jumping into employing local influencer marketing, make sure to read these 4 biggest influencer marketing mistakes to save yourself time, money, and regret:
- Lack of transparency: There are many influencers that do not disclose their relationships with brands, so they won’t be associated with them. Those are the ones you want to stay away from! When collaborating with an influencer, it’s important to ask them to disclose their relationship with you; their followers are more likely to react negatively to your ads if they simply don’t know about the collaboration. Not to mention, to comply with the FTC, influencers must disclose any affiliate relationships with brands.
- Relying only on social media marketing: Don’t limit your local influencer campaign to social media; influencers can promote your products or services in other places as well. For example, you can pay your influencers to participate in your email marketing campaigns, podcasts, or even in-person events.
- Limiting yourself to only one type of content: Depending on your business, you may think that a certain type of content is more effective than others for promotion. However, it’s still a good idea to explore different types of content and see what works best for you.
For example, if you only rely on videos in your influencer marketing strategy, ask your influencers to post images or text instead. It’s also a great way to keep fans interested and boredom at bay!
- Posting in a spammy manner: We already mentioned that local influencer marketing looks more natural and less spammy compared to other strategies. However, influencer marketing can also look spammy when you go overboard with posting, which doesn’t help in making your brand look legit to fans.
So, make sure not to shove your products or services down their throats and post less often and only when they’re most active!
Local influencer marketing is undoubtedly one of the top marketing strategies that can take your small business to the next level. But if you do it wrong, you can negatively affect your brand’s reputation and cause your website sales to go down.
So make sure to follow the tips we mentioned to a tee to master the art of influencer marketing and, hopefully, skyrocket your sales!
Want to help you run your influencer marketing campaign? SARAL has got you covered! When it comes to running influencer marketing campaigns, SARAL is the best and most reliable tool to find creator contact info, send outreach campaigns, and never lose track of your relationships. Sign up and try it for free!